There you’re sat.
Diligently creating another piece of content to showcase your knowledge and expertise. Because that’s what you need to do, right? That’s what the content marketers say.
“If you share useful, relevant content then you’ll climb up the Google rankings and attract a ton of fresh leads.”
It’s a nice promise, but there’s just one problem… And it’s a problem that’s getting bigger by the day.
You see, your audience is increasingly swamped with free information. I mean seriously… Do you really think your audience needs yet another article, which more or less repeats what’s already been published on countless other domains and social timelines before?
You’re right, they don’t!
What they actually need is YOU. They need much more of you.
And if you give me a couple minutes to explain myself, I’ll show you how you can apply this insight to your advantage.
Let’s do this 🙂
Who you are is more important than what you know
As someone who invested heavily in my education, I hate to say it, but knowledge is no longer everything.
Sure it gives you credibility and authority, but this alone isn’t enough to persuade people to give you their eyes, ears, and hearts. You see nowadays ‘everyone’ is serving up oodles of lovely free content. As a result, publishing informative content doesn’t give you the automatic leg up it once did.
After all, when lots of ‘experts’ are talking about similar stuff to you, your knowledge alone isn’t enough to single you out and draw in your crowd.
That’s why I say the the internet needs more YOU.
To be specific, it needs content that’s infused with your personality, your stories, and your uniqueness. That’s because these are the things which flavour your expert knowledge and make your message different from all of the rest.
Think about it…
The way you show up and share your expertise will influence how you make people feel. Put another way, your personality gives off a certain vibe which some people will love and others will hate!
That’s why revealing YOU in your message (and your content) is so key.
By eliciting an emotional response, you’ll begin to attract a crowd who resonate with your way of thinking and being. In other words, your voice is the differentiator. It provides a reason for the right people to choose to listen to you – as opposed to anyone else.
That’s why YOU are one of the most valuable marketing assets that you have.
The question is are you using this to your advantage?
How to put YOU into your message
OK, so you get the theory, but what does this look like in practice?
How do you make your message distinctive (and irresistible) just by being you?
The theory is simple…
You allow your true self to shine through. You give yourself permission to drop the mask, let down your guard, and set your voice free 🙂
I know, I know! This can be confronting!
Its soooo tempting to present a particular face to the world (because you want people to think the ‘right’ things about you). But wearing a mask is draining and suffocating. In comparison, it’s liberating to drop the restrictions and just be you.
Take this approach, and you can opens many new opportunities to connect with your audience. For example, you can talk about:
- The things that matter to you – and attract people with similar values
- Your kids, your partner, your holidays, your hobbies (if you wish) – and attract people with similar passions
- WHY you do the things you do – and attract people who are inspired by your bigger mission
As a result, your message becomes about more than the results you promise your clients.
- A way for your audience to feel connected with you – even if you’ve never spoken a word one-to-one
- A treasure trove of content ideas – because you can personalise and contextualise your message with your stories
- A way to be more memorable – because instead of yet another ‘confidence coach’, you become the coach who teaches in Bali, has twins, does charity work, and believes in setting people free from their limitations using a model you developed from your own experiences.
Can you see how this works?
Can you see how much more interesting, memorable, and unique this personality approach can make you and your message?
So let’s get you started…
Let me give you some ideas to help you personalise your message, drop the guard, and give your audience an insight into who you really are.
It could become the difference that makes the right people suddenly line up to work with YOU.
Top Tips To Personalise Your Message
- Tell your stories – because they stick and make you memorable (Here’s a free download of 99 Story Ideas to get you inspired)
- Release your voice – don’t wear an alien head when you’re speaking about the stuff you love. Instead, let your passion free-flow from your heart
- Write to connect – don’t worry about selling from the first encounter. Instead, write to engage, start conversations, and build meaningful relationships with the people who you can best serve
- Get visible – the occasional post won’t make much of an impression. Instead, explore and stretch your message regularly. Remember, each piece of personality-rich content creates another opportunity to build connections and deepen your ‘know, like, trust’ factor
- Be patient – this is a long-term strategy where you’re creating a content web that will build momentum over time as your audience grows. It’s NOT a silver-bullet or a hack. It requires your investment.
Want a short cut?
If writing isn’t your thing, you may lack the time (and inclination) to create the content needed to get your personality and message ‘out there’. Alternatively, you may be so close to your business you’re not sure what stories to share or how best to express the real you.
That’s why I created Share Your Story.
All the details are on the link above, but here’s a three-step overview:
- I’ll interview you to extract stories that help cement your positioning, express your personality, and showcase your credibility
- I’ll take copious notes of our conversations
- Then turn these notes into plenty of content – so you have awesome posts (written in your voice) to share on social media, your blogs, or to your email list
If this is something you’d like to explore, get in touch. We can have a 30 minute chat to discover if we’re a good fit.
Let’s Find Your You so you can share your message with the world 🙂